Thursday, April 8, 2021

Becoming: adapters transformers and chargers


 ADAPTORS AND TRANSFORMERS?


Sometime today a package will magically appear around my front door and in it there will be a new pair of headphones with a “lightning” connector or adapter  and also an additional little adapter to be used with a chord so that sounds from one device can be recorded to another device.  Thinking about this brought to mind some thoughts about the need to order a new transformer and charger for a chord less drill because the original one has gone missing.  Now I have several transformers and connectors and charging devices scattered  around my office and in locations where I use my “smart” stuff, however none of them fit the drill.  Now I can buy a whole new identical drill that comes with this charger/adapter for just about twice the cost  of the charger alone and if I did so I would have a spare and that might be a good idea.  I did this very same thing to get a new transformer and adapter for a small Bluetooth speaker I own but then the chord started to fray because the transformer  and the  cord are poorly constructed.  These sorts of things can be discouraging and prompt some seeking peace and joy thoughts.  


It seems in order to seek peace and joy even in the process of getting  all our electronics to work we have to do a lot of adapting.   It also seems that one experience/device/challenge will require  one particular adapting and another challenge will require yet a completely unique set of changes and it is hard to know just what one needs prior to the time it is needed.  However, all is not lost.  You can  begin to understand that you will need to adapt often and to be at peace with that.  You can expect to need to change your input and sometimes even the end of the cord you plug in will need to transform the energy offered by the environment.  If you expect it then when it is needed you aren’t as anxious about it and sometimes can even find it humorous as you might imagine some engineers someplace being told “make our connection a semi-circle with a ridge and a bump so that we can sell the only charger for it and don’t worry about the flimsy materials because it’s not our fault if someone steps on this and smashes it just enough so it won’t fit.”  

It also seems  like when seeking peace and joy it’s pretty valuable to become a human adapter ready when possible to help others recharge and connect.  If you can be a connector the energy of others flows through you and the folks you are connected with are given the opportunity to pursue their purposes.  You can often share in and learn from the experiences you make possible for others and this can lead to some peace and joy.  


So... maybe all these cords and funny shaped endings aren’t so much burdens  and frustrations made especially for me.... maybe they can serve as reminders of the value of attempting to be a transformer, an adapter, and a connector of sorts and that seeking peace and joy may require these things on a fairly regular basis.  


Well that’s my thought bundle for today—I have to find my lightning to usb converter so I can connect my wireless keyboard and because it’s a lightning device I have to have the power disconnected which means I need to make sure my battery is charged before adapting...oh that might also apply to seeking race and joy?   I will end with this... I’ll always wonder why this thing is called a lightning  connector -is it really a good idea for you to encourage a lightning strike around your valuable tech? —Oh well....

1 comment:

  1. This line that you used, "If you expect it then when it is needed you aren’t as anxious about it and sometimes can even find it humorous. . ." reminds me of a scientific study that measured two sets of rats and their reaction to electrical shock: one group was shocked randomly and infrequently, the other group regularly and frequently. The rats who were shocked frequently developed fewer ulcers and were probably more adjusted to their lives than those who were shocked randomly. I think that you get at that understanding in this post and make the adaptations in your life and you model those daily adaptations to the regular intervals of shocks that we all experience. Thanks, Jim!

    ReplyDelete