Sunday, March 13, 2022

Burlington parks: Learning to play lessons that stay


 Why Stop Playing Around?

a shout  Out to the Parks of My Youth


Regular readers of this blog will notice that I often wander down memory lane but don’t live there.  For me  focusing in on the past seems like a sure-fire  method to pick up more baggage than a “Sampson-ite Storeroom” and dragging baggage around  slows down the seeking peace and joy train.  However, if I open up the baggage and take out the lessons and then let the rest spin on the lost luggage carousel at the airport things seem to work out….so let’s risk a little of that shall we?  


There were lots of parks in the greater West Burlington and Burlington Iowa area.  I suppose I spent  some time spinning, sliding, chasing blowing paper plates, sweating, and scraping up my actual and emotional knees in almost all of them.  For now I’m going to feature  only five.  thinking there’s a statute of limitations on some things let’s start with North Hill Park and Mosquito Park.  These are two parks on the North side of town.  North Hill Park is the first place I saw some of my high school classmates experience the ill-effects of underaged drinking.  It was a classic case of Boone’s Farm meets Ant hill.  The lesson learned learned that night was bellbottomed  cuffed pants could hold some liquid but it wasn’t the fashion statement  that stud was looking for.  It was a lesson in peer pressure and comparing how much  one person could consume verses another.  I wish I’d remembered  that more often in the upcoming years.  

Mosquito park was a place a couple of my friends ran to  hide after egging  some cars near the highway.  we eluded Burlington’s finest there, however that park got the “mosquito” name for a reason as we hid in some decorative hedges and the sparrow-sized insects pretended like it was all you can eat and the “Golden/human Coral.”  Oh and it’s a great place to view  the Mighty Mississippi  River from that side of town as well.  


Perkins Park


No not named after the restaurant —the Railroad  persons…. Was  maybe the  best sledding park as you could start at the top of the hill and wind up across  a street quite some distance away.  This park also had the second best curly-Q slide  and this teeter totter. That was level so you floated back and forth as opposed to up and down where one  person could leave you hanging.   Oh and that’s a lesson I learned from teeter-totters you need some balance to make the experience work most the time and it’s generally not a great idea to leave someone. Else hanging…. It doesn’t go in-noticed and you’ll soon get hung out yourself…paybacks are…as they say a  bit(you know the rest )


The other neat thing about Perkins is that it had these two short foot bridges that were fun to run over or ride your bike over or you could hang out under the bridge even long  before the Red Hot Chili Peppers. 


Dankwrdt Park


Now it was connected to my favorite  park and probably would have gotten more credit if it didn’t have it be compared  to that offerrng.  Looking back the strangest feature of this park was that it had some really good slides and swings, however its highlight for many was a decommissioned  jet fighter.  Yes… right there in the park there was a sealed up jet that you could climb all over and imagine you were shooting  down enemy fighters, stopping tanks, and of course we were talking every enemy  from World War I on because that’s what our parents and grandparents  taught us.  I sometimes  shake at the fact that I was thrilled to imagine  destroying  other humans and wonder when we will stop teaching our children that military power can be fun.  Evidence suggests we have some distance to travel.


Crapo Park

This park had it all.  Band Shell,-fountain—winding roads—real Native American  trails-the best curly-Q slide—a double slide  with a fast straight and a double hump option.  It had a skating/duck/goldfish pond and a statue of some guy on a horse (I don’t remember who…. 

There were some tennis courts and horseshoe pits.  I’m not sure whether the pool, the little amusement park, and the put-put golf  and roller rink were officially considered. Crapo…but as a kid and as a teen-Ager I did.  Crapo. Was. A place where we went to hang out as teens and did some well teen-age kid stuff and we now thank the good lord there was no internet then.  For a dozen. Years that park was a place to free my imagination at times, however there was one experience  in the park that I valued above all others and it may have been mine alone.  


There is a horseshoe curve. In one of the park streets and a stone wall keeps  vehicles including. Bicycles from launching river-wards.  That same street winds around and hits the main drag though the park.  This banked horseshoe lane is a one-way path so I would gather  just as much speed  down. That road and then pull my limbs tight into my body coasting at a tremendous pace through the turn.  The speed would gthen carry me quite some way  until  if I ignored the stop sign I could roll all the way. To where the World War II Two anti-aircraft guns stood as sentinels.  What? Mor weapons?  Yes…but by the time I was riding  my bike and owned a 10-speed I didn’t have any desire to play army—also… I had developed a skeptical mind and my curiosity led to me to wonder if we were expecting  an invasion from Illinois.  

What did Ilearn at Crapo?  There were. A lot of experiencing out in the world and some of them. You had. To approach on your own.  Some experiences you shared with others and some…well you will forget about or laugh about later in life.  Oh and that if Peoria decided to attack you should always be locked and loaded.  


So in these parks I learned how to play.  I learned how to explore.  I learned what my body could, could not, should, and should not do….or at least  not do often.  Looking back I might have learned that its okay to run real fast and enjoy the coasting parts too.  I might have figured out from the roller rink that sometimes going around in circles in life  can be fun as long as you are with the right. People.  I learned how to fall down- wipe the dirt off—and try again—but there were times in life I forget  that too…. Mostly I learned that  there are times and places in life that you can approach with curious enthusiasm and regardless of what happened that day there would be other days and maybe that is the lesson that has helped the most in seeking peace and joy.  


Now tomorrow is a short day so the blog will be short but meaningful… I’m sharing an 8-line  rhyme and two song links….one features  a “high-school and park” theme and the other is a recent release from a very talented creative soul who I’ve met just monthsago…. Just like the parks were a place that captured my emotions…this song does that as well… so stay tuned and tonight…. Spring forward in spirit and on the space-time  continuum … Peace-out 

No comments:

Post a Comment