Thursday, June 2, 2022

Walking to Eldorado? Upright?


Some days (like yesterday) my body reminds me that it’s just here to carry my spirit around and that doesn’t always mean without complaining.  One way that sometimes helps things improve is taking a walk.  By the way why do we spell sock and rock one way and talk and walk and for that  matter could we spell would and should without the “l” too?  Anyway back to putting one foot in front of the other….


So many times when I stroll I put a little music on and usually randomly shuffle things from my music library.  Well as it happened three songs that featured “walking” played  in a row when I was hitting the bricks.  That kicked my mind into two paths—-one just how many songs that have “walk or walking” in the title and second the notion of walking through life or part of life with some groups of people sharing your path for a while.  

So let’s “Walk the Line” while we’re “Walking in Memphis”and if you’re not quite sure which direction to go well “Walk this way.”  Oh and if you are wondering if you might go fast or slow just “Walk Like and Egyptian.”


Okay you get the idea.  Now for the step by step reason this entry is worth taking my foot out of my mouth to share.  You see yesterday I posted a new episode of the “Seeking Peace and Joy” podcast and made a mistake in the beginning of the cast and in the show notes (see below)…. Look, I make mistakes all the time so I usually just repair them,laugh about them, or do my best to learn the lesson from them and move on. Not his time….why?  The pod features a person who has walked through a big chunk of life with me and a handful of mutual friends.   Even more than this this person has served as a musical mentor to me.  He has encouraged me to enjoy the e never-ending arc of learning how to play the guitar.  He has assisted me in refining and sharpening a handful of song lyrics over time and maybe most importantly I have seen him take on new instruments, learn them and add to all types of music projects with persistence and joy.  Okay are we a little music “geeky?”  Well….yep…But what is the point of this?  The point is this “walk of Life” is taken down a long and winding road and you will get a few chances to journey along with a few people  for bits of it.  Sometimes you’ll get more than you give with these folks and sometimes you’ll be the coach for the walking partners.  What I’m saying is that peace and joy comes from leading, following, and walking side by side with others and I’m suggesting we all spend some time and energy doing this with some intentionality.  Oh and don’t miss the chance to thank folks when you find you are walking along with them almost by accident.  


Oh and speaking of accidents… I made the mistake of saying my friend and his cousin were part of something called the Laredo Songwriters Guild….well its “Eldorado not that sleepy Texas border town.  And here’s a link to the podcast and the music mentioned in it.  

https://m.soundcloud.com/eldorado_songwriter_guild?p=a&c=1&utm_campaign=social_sharing&utm_medium=text&utm_source=other

1 comment: