Monday, April 29, 2019

The anxiety ridden battle between illusion and control

The Illusion of Control and the Control of Illusion (a very strange balancing act we do in seeking PEACE & JOY)

The ring announcer steps to the microphone and addresses the crowd…. they arena is buzzing with excitement.  The words come  tumbling out.  “In this corner we have  hope, curiosity, promise, talentt, and a willingness  to take some risks.  In the opposite  corner we  have discomfort  with uncertainty, fear of losing public  opinion , a need to be understood, and questions about  how your known world will respond to significant change.   The referee might as  well skip any  explanation  of how this needs to be a fair fight and with the sound of the bell… the “winner take all battle to the finish is on.  

Sometimes seeking peace and joy seems  like this type of battle not a gentle  growing in serenity  and happiness.  Sometimes it seems like  a brawl within where intellect and emotions  are separated at times and at times are  throwing  brutal jabs and hooks within your soul.  

Why?  Well after some meditation, prayer, and thought.   With  a whole lot of  wondering  how I got here and where is it  that I am  pondering, the best I can do is this tentative  conclusion (which is a fancy way of saying here’s my guess my friends).  

There are times in life where the bus stops and lets you off at the intersection of  Control Street and Illusion Avenue.  You  aren’t quite sure if you  have to  adjust your  control over some illusions or whether  you have forgotten that sometimes you operate  with a degree of illusions of control.  

What  in the world  dow this mean?  Well as best as I can explain (because I’m somewhat close to that intersection right now)  is this.  Controlling illusions is about thoughts and feelings that  everyone knows and sees all your faults and mistakes and can’t possibly understand the way you see the world and wouldn’t forgive  you if “they really knew the mistakes you make.”  So you sit wondering how or if you could explain all this to those you love and trust and thus gain a little more  control of your illusions.

Or on the other hand you look at  all that has happened and all that could  happen and really start to doubt that  there is a true cause and effect relationship  between  thoughts and actions, actions and results,  results and change, and adding that  all up choices and responsibilities.  Oh and add in the public and private  aspects of  all of that too just for  a little extra complexity.   For those  things fall into the bucket of  what might be called an illusion of control.  

Having said all this—I have come to realize many people don’t let their  minds and should even ask the types of questions  that bring  many  of us to this point because doing so is  staring into the very chasm of  being  a spiritual  being in a human world.  From time to time  I envy those who avoid coming fact to face with this, but believe  many of us would be  richer people they stepped a bit closer to some of these  things.  Life is never quite the same once  you dip your tows into this pool and maybe  you are never quite immune  to  the haunting nature of its complexity after that.  

So what’s a person to do?  If you are seeking  peace and joy it is  not all that close to  that intersection—or is it?  You see maybe  if you can be courages and curious  and believe  enough  in those  around  you or that you  will find others on the other side of the intersection, then seeking  peace and joy  where you are and with what  you have becomes a little  clearer (not easier) but clearer.  Maybe  you’ve  finally learned what peace and joy mean for you and maybe you will learn  how to engage in the journey  in a new way.  For me there will always be recycling where I don’t know why  things happened or where my next step should be.  The thing I have learned is to be  glad to be able to regroup  and take a next step no matter how doubtful I might be.  I have learned to think about the  people  I know  who have stared  into the chasm and how rich their souls  are.  I have learned that I can stop a minute and  get  stalled, however I can’t stop where I am because  then I have not finished my services to the universe.  Knowing that, peace and joy  in the seeking  is possible and  that is what I have learned.  

Okay, I am going to wrap this up because for some of you who  have read this far and don’t really grasp  what I am saying, there is no amount of further  writing that will  get you there right now and I apologize for  this rant.  For those of you  who identify with most of this, always know that you have  an partner and friend  ringside.  

Peace and Joy are worth the effort because of lessons  we learn on the journey…and sometimes  they fall freely  from the sky like so many warm raindrops and sometimes they come  in the form of a wicked  left  hook to the jaw.  Either way  you can get  from here to there.  You may have to climb a couple  mountains…. and that will be what I talk about next time… For now there’s the bell….time to start round  22,001.  

No comments:

Post a Comment