Friday, October 18, 2019

A song of peace and joy?




 PEACE, JOY AND LEARNING  TO BE STILL

Twenty some years ago the Eagles of Hotel California fame not of  let’s say Boston. College or Philadelphia, released a song titled  “Learn to Be Still.”  Some mornings I wake up pretty still so to speak and others are like today.  I can’t wait to pick up my guitar or take out the trash or wipe a little flour  off the counter or even goodness me clean up a around the toilet.  So, before I sat down to write this I’ve already done  many of these things and now maybe, just maybe, I’m still enough to put some thoughts together in a way that reaches out from behind  all the noise.  
Here goes... 
So today is  a day for. Writing a song...some days I can just feel  that inside.  I have some lyrics bubbling. Up and a couple of chord combinations that have been waiting  for the lyrics of some kind to enhance.  Earlier in the week I read a quote about  songwriting.  Arlo Guthrie (mostly known for  Alice’s  Restaurant) Described song writing as if it were fishing.  Lyrics or words  go by. In a stream and  eventually , as long as your hook is in the water, you will catch the right ones.  He does, however, add that you shouldn’t fish downstream from Bob Dylan.  

That being said, I thought I’d offer up a few lyrics that have been rolling  through my mind this morning.  Of course, listen.to Learn to Be  Still from the Eagles and then maybe a song titled “Last Resort” that will let you know how  my state of mind was (not a very peaceful or joyful one)  first thing today.  Now I’m going to share  a verse from two. Songs I’ve been working. On  One is nearly finished but the melody or chord progression isn’t quite. There yet and the other one  is part of the song I’ll likely  work on most the rest of today until I record a podcast this afternoon.

Anyway here are those lyrics and they have to do with seeking peace and joy.

How much longer until we see some rain?
Will it wash away this dust that has settled on my brain
Is that light in the darkness. An oncoming train
Have the  dreams all vanished or do some remain
These are the questions that seep into my soul
Do I stand back and. Wait or crank it up, crank it  up let it roll?
Other song... 
 And the sage said as  she  sighed
When’s the last time that  we’ve tried
To build together. Not divideAsk what others feel inside
Set your  bank account aside  and 
Let your souls decide

So it’s going to be a peace and joy roller coaster today...because  while. The lyrics come forth I will gain peace, yet joy might not come till the song is done and sometimes that’s a day and sometimes that’s. A bit longer...

Oh well my  soul is engaged now and that’s. Where the journey always  feels best to me.  

Find a song to sing... More Sooon

No comments:

Post a Comment