Friday, November 8, 2019

Episode 200 milk library and seeking peace and joy



PEACE AND JOY POST 200 AND BEYOND

A couple of days ago I was searching around on the backside of this  website/blog and I noticed that  the number of published entries was creeping up on 200.  The first thing that came to mind was “holy crap there’s no way I’ve had 200 significant thoughts over the last year.” I mean just this morning I was fishing.ougt the  last couple of pieces. Of Cap’n Cruinch from my bowl when I realized I had put way too much milk in today.  If I don’t have that much left over milk I usually spoon it out, but this was a “tilt the bowl” and drink itt”.quantity.  We use “skim” milk.  I could go on about  how many types of milk there are now, however the comedian Louis Black does this. Incredible routine about that.and you can watch that because I have. Other things to write about today.  I  will only share tow more random thoughts about. Milk related  things and then move on.  I don’t know who invented all these different types of milk and I don’t care, but I’m wondering  if skim milk was  invented  in our dairy state—you  know at the University of Wisconsin at ‘WHITEWATER?”  Also in a show of  good faith and  gratitude would it be acceptable to ask  kids to wear pictures of missing  milk cartons on their  shirt?  (Yes, I used that in. Another post.). well it is exactly that kind of mind that has  produced these 200 entries.  A curious  mind that has been nurtured by a lot of  teachers, creative musicians I know, and books, books, books, books—did I mention books?  Where can you find lots of books?—the library and tha’s my main topic for today.

Let’s start with a little history shall we?  I suppose  it is appropriate to  honor Ben Franklin and his mates for opening the first library in America on this date in 1731...well it wasn’t America yet  and you know where you could learn all the facts about  that event (on the internet dude).or at a library.  What  a good idea.  If you are going to govern yourself you should  get yourself a little  wisdom involved.  So this was the first one in  what was to become the US and it was  started in Philadelphia.  Anybody want to guess where the firs at library west of the Mississippi River was opened?  Hint: I’ve been there numerous times (that will help some of the readers.  I have had a library card from there.  I’ve been asked to leave there a couple times (oh I know that’s not a great clue..I’ve been asked to leave a lot of places) and I believe the next time. I’m in town I should take a walk past that building again.  Yes...that library opened in Burlington, Iowa.   So we have two fun facts about libraries want more?  Of course you  do...right?  
While we  had the door  buster grand  opening  of a library  some 288 years ago we were far from the  first in the world.  It’s estimated that.  The first libraries were established  in about 7,000 B.C. I hope nobody has an overdue book from there because that’s gonna cost a whole bunch of shiny rocks and several sheep and maybe a camel in fines.  I don’t know  what the largest library in.the United States is, but I grew up in Iowa and we had the largest library for the. Blind and visually impaired in the world at that time and that was cool.  But. All kinds of  recorded materials and Braille books with millions of dots doesn’t compare with  either the Magician’s Library in New York.  Where is that exactly?  Nobody knows because three  kids. Went in and  read the book on invisibility spells and poof.  Oh and in France there is a library of smells.  They  don’t use the Dewey Decimal  system there.  They just have  a couple of 6 year-old kids who run home to their dad once a day and open  small plastic containers and tell  their Dad—“smell this!”  Then they go from there.  I did look some things on the Dewey  system, but I didn’t find what  I was looking for.  I wanted to know  how libraries kept their books in  order before then.  Did they arrange them by  color, or weight and size.  Did the  Romans use Roman numerals?  You know I was thinking about that  too.  Wouldn’t doing long division using  Roman numerals be a pain?  What is  an L divided  by an X multiplied  by a C? 

Okay..I’m going to get around to. How all this is related to peace and joy now.  I’m going to do a three part series on libraries after the first of the year, but for now I’m just glad they exist because we can get books there.  Books are important  because they both fuel and feed. My curiosity.  Curiosity is the driving force for learning and combatting fear.  Fear is one of the  biggest  challenges to peace and joy.  Sometimes I don’t do the best at controlling fear, however, I work hard at growing and honoring  curiosity and yes..finally...that’s where. These 200 episodes come in.  These episodes are my  humble response to “how can I share in a conversation about seeking peace and joy?”  Well..I have more questions and maybe.after 200 more posts I’ll learn that curiosity killed the cat, but until then I’m going to keep on reading and keep on writing so I hope you will keep on reading and  feel very free to comment and share these posts...someday I’m going to make some of these into a book and  maybe.that book will be in a library I can get kicked out of.  
Thank.you all for being readers.


Peace and Joy be with  You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment