Friday, May 1, 2020

The next voice you hear may be your own

SOMETHING TO WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND—OR WRAP AROUND YOUR HEAD

One day last week I sat down and did this funky little  exercise.  At 1Pm I wrote down the thought I had  30 seconds  before or at least the last whole thought I remember which was “I’m  disgusted that someone thinks they impress people by  going as fast as they. Can for the 6 blocks  between stop lights on Oak Street .  Then I set an alarm  for 20 minutes and went about my business.  When  the alarm went off I wrote down. Every thought I could remember having in that 20 minutes and then sort of identified  what the message those thoughts was either.screaming at me or what belief they were  emerging from.  A list of all the thoughts here would  be rather boring—maybe—-let’s  just summarize for efficiency’s sake.  I was listening to a couple of podcasts.  The first was about  baseball and the three thoughts that emerged were how much I missed the daily story of each game that is usually  in full swing by this time in the year.  Then I thought that a shorter season would probably help  my Chicago Cubs and their old pitching ace.  Then I thought well maybe a whole year without baseball  would make this whole. Social event called  COVID 19 really stick with me for the rest of my life.  So then I wondered how long that would be.  I don’t think about that very often...I mean I do think about  how special life is and I do know that. It is finite in length, but I don’t try to calculate  how much time I have left.  So that was about 10 seconds worth of thoughts.  I also thought that  tomorrow I shouldn’t eat hot dogs so early in the day even if  that did constitute lunch and they were  inexpensive.  Then it was. Time  for “Webster’s Word of the day”. There’s that stupid car again. Oh I missed the word but I’m not going to rewind today... there will be a new word tomorrow.  I couldn’t hear the word because I only had one ear piece of my headphones (Apple wired earbuds) in So I started to think about  that and that’s what prompted today.


You see I own all kinds of things that make noise and all kinds of things to listen to those things.  Right now I have a pair of. Traditional sony (cheap but  fairly rich sounding over the ear headphones, two “music man little Bluetooth  minispeakers. They are cute little  Plastic/rubber robotic looking. Men that have a surprisingly good sound and  also function  as a microphone if you hold down a little button on it’s back.  Conceivably you can answer your phone  with one but I think I’d feel really strange talking to one of the riser little  dudes.  I have a pair of wired Bluetooth ear buds that only one ear functions on, but I wear them on walks sometimes because I can hear traffic better.  I have a barrel shaped Bluetooth speaker that is about  two inches tall and round and it really kicks butt for it’s size.  The charge doesn’t last as long as it once did, however it’s good for  an hour or so if it’s not plugged in.  There is my Bud Light  Cooler/blue tooth speakers combo that sounds really good and  the speaker time is probably over an hourk when fully charged You can also plus the cooler directly into a sound  source so  with a chord or two it could go all day.   Finally, most recently I bought a new pair of noise cancelling Bluetooth over the ear headphones.  They are really nice.  The charge lasts up to 30 hours of playing time and I have pushed them past 24 a couple of times. I din’t think noise cancelling  features on headphones were that. Big of a deal until I had these.  When  the audio signal coming in is only what the headphones are  linked to then there are only  two sources of input to my thinking processes—the music and my thoughts.  In the past week I have listened pretty regularly to  those thoughts  and here are the ones that  sing the loudest when it comes to peace. And joy.  

First, for about  six months I have listened to podcasts about. History and writing and some sports first thing in the morning.  However the other day I listened to music for the first. Few minutes of my day and found. That I felt way  more peaceful.  After meditation and stretching it’s music from now on.  second, when wearing my headphones I tend to be far more selective about. Where I focus my attention.  This leads me to wonder if I let my attention drift the rest of the time until something catches it, and if so, is that okay or do I nee3d to be more intentional with my listening.  Lord knows every time I hear  about the economic. Impact of the pandemic I get a little angry and probably. Need to shift my attention to seeking creative ways to bring meaning to life  for myself and others. That is not tied to the pocket book.  third, except when I’m wearing the noise cancelling  phones people around here know I  am aware of being talked to and except when the volume is very loud they kare welcome to interrupt my listening.... I think it is important for people. To know that you are willing to listen and learn at all times.  I wonder if wearing. Headphones sometimes  prevents people from  sharing with me so I’m going to. Be more aware of the public symbol that some of my choices project.  

These are thoughts  that came to mind while thinking about  headphones and other listening devices.  Somehow I can’t  help but thinking about hearing  from a first grade nun that students had two ears and only one mouth for a reason.  Next I  can’t help. But think I can control the  first and last things  my headphones bring reach day and I can also probably  do the same for the last  things I say and. The last things  I may think and maybe seeking peace and joy would be a different journey if I paid a little. More attention to these edge of the day experiences.  I mean prayer and meditation are great, but if Ifocus more. When Ihave my headphones plugged in could I build on these experiences?

To sum up....choose  wisely when figuring out  where the external and the internal  sounds that roll through your mind come from.  Rest assured that. All of your thoughts will never stay focused for too long and that  tracking the stream can sometimes provide insights.  Be amazed at how diverse and quick the thoughts flow if you don’t judge. Them.  Be thankful for the variety of sounds and thoughts your mind and soul are capable of hearing if you listen.  Also  if the messages you hear sound the same day after day after day maybe you need to change your  headphones and sometimes noise cancelling  is a good choice.  —-Quick.what was the last thought you had before reading this?  



No comments:

Post a Comment