Monday, February 15, 2021

Encore what’s love got to do with it my favorite love songs


WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?


A handful of readers called me out for not wearing my heart on my sleeve enough yesterday when featuring  “love songs.”  Well from time to time I’ll respond to a comment or too directly, however, I only wear my heart on my sleeve in personal conversations most of the time. Now  I will wear my kidneys in my back pocket and my lower intestines on my umbrella...but anyway...


I don’t have a single favorite, yet I can point to five songs that speak to me in  significant ways...Here goes.


  1. Best song in the “Boy I screwed up category....t award goes to 

Barry Manilow for Mandy (who came  and she gave without takin’).  Now Mandy was t name of his dog, butI must say when you mess up somethng you regre hisis a killer tune.


2. In the category of  people you fall in love with but will always reamain out of reach.. the winner goes to... Brandy...by the looking Glass.  


Of course there is  that situation gone bad and the winner. In that category has to be...Soft Cell...for Tainted Love...because once I ran to you and now I run from you...


Then we come to that fleeting moment of love song... you know that time when  you just share a single connected moment of promise... a smile, a nod of the head...a brief hand on the arm sort of thing...

The undisputed champ in that category goes to  James Blunt for You’re Beautiful.


Before the big reveal... Ithink the group that hits the most high notes for love songs. Is The Carpenters ...at least for me and there are some songs that  get me every single time... like Total Eclipse of the Heart and Come to My window...There is the song I like to  sing the most and that’s a tie... between All I know by Arr Garfunkel and then with his pal Simon we have a Bridge over  troubled water... ...My all-time favorite don’t ever bug me again song to sing to sing is Good-bye Yellow Brick Road which leads me to  my favorite  of all time in any category...


So what’s my song?   Well your song of course.   No that’s not a cop out... Imean...Elton John’s  song. “Your Song.”   Now it’s not always my favorite  and like I said. There are so many... 


as far as a movie...romance... well it falls in the adventure/romantic comedy realm and you can criticize  it “as you wish” however...it’s “inconceivable” that I’d have  any other  favorite than one that features the dread Pirate Roberts...


Yes. The Princess Bride...


There are others of course, however get to know the things I offer and you may live happily ever after.... or if you are just thinking about love rather than hate...well that’s a winner...


Peace, Love, and  Joy


1 comment:

  1. Great songs! I too am a big fan of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and try to make a point of listening to it or a cover every other day or so. Here's a fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozd2ja7mAgM I also heard Looking Glass play Brandy at the Roof Garden at Arnold's Park, Lake Okoboji in the late 70's.

    ReplyDelete