Monday, December 2, 2019

Peace and joy medicine and healing beginning and some comments

Using Blogg “A PHRASE WEAS BORN”

Last week I started a concerted. Effort to change the whole Black Friday mindset and berlieve me last week was just the beginning.   However, in doing this  it was impossible to fully recognize  some things that really deserve recognition in my book.  

On the same day...all on the same day the poet Milton Mark Twain, and Winston Churchill were all born.  If you are not a Milton fan that’s okay, but if you are a sarcasm or satire fan you owe it to yourself to read a little gem  known as “the modest  proposal.  You aren’t likely to find a more pointed. Political comment in all of western history.  Everyone knows. Mark Twain and his gang  Tom, Becky, and Huck and any number of their adventures.  He takes his shots at politicians well...and several social conceptionsa about things like slavery etc.  Finally there is Winston Churchill the famous. British k leader who guided  the country under attack through the Second World War.  
All these. Writers/speakers had a a lot of wisdom and said it  so much clearer that I  have learned or have the patience to emulate of duplicate.  

However stepping on the shoulders of giants my favorite mantra was born on their Birthday week.  I believe t]hat in a facebook post, I first urged each of you to seek out  or have some “Peace and Joy.”

During the previous week I had  experienced a significant  back reconstruction surgery.  In the simplest  terms the lower part of my spinal vertebra collection looked more like semi-finals challenge at the skeletal  Chenga  tournament.  Almost any  movement could cause a random  shift where the bones. Pinched my spinal column or any one of their related bundle of nerves creating either  a temporary paralysis or indescribable  pain—well actually it’s describable but a string of four-lettered words is not called for here.  So after analyzing this mess, the surgical team. Offered me  two options.  One was the pleasant  notion of having  seven separate  procedures over the next  nine years or so depending how long the recovery time was for each.   Sounds great right/. Or I could have a relatively new, but fairly  promising  procedure where  they  would basically cut a hole in my back and remove most of the  bone.  Then replace it with a “small titanium  cage or bracket .  Now why would screw the old bone chips  plus some  more bone that they  would take from. A couple places in my hips.  They would reroute by spinal column through the cage  structure, surround it with  the bone, mix in some stem cells and grow a “spinal fused bone tube that protects. The spinal and provides stability.  Now they informed me that this thing didn’t work fully in about 30 percent of people and  about 3 in  100 ended up with some paralysis.  Oh and about 1 in 1000 came. In alive and left well not so alive.  So. I would need to  be out of work for three months and it should be at least two years before the  bone structure.had completely formed...but I couldn’t see doing thing for nine years so I picked the  week of Thanksgiving  2016 to do this thing.  I don’t remember being very nervous going into the  surgery—well of course I was. Stoned silly and then once they  cranked in the knock-out drugs I was gone in two or three breaths.  Well things went pretty well except it took  8 hours instead of six to complete.  In the meantime the staff shift. Had changed  on the recovery floor and because  hospital policy prohibits hanging IV pain  meds unattended my waiting meds were. No more than salt water.  They  flop me into my bed and according to protocol  they bring me around sometime after a half hour of wiring me up with  monitors etc.  
Now my surgeon  had said I would feel like hell especially on the second day...”it will be a little rough,” he’d said.  

Well a little rough?  Was. The Little Big Horn a little setback for the calvary?  I woke up to a pain that I’ll never forget.  I could barely breathe and any slight movement including breathing was remarkably torturous.  I started screaming but wasn’t really aware of it.  One of the medical  team. Started checking  everything as my blood pressure  was in a mad race with my  heart rate to see which  could break the North American record first.  Then  one nurse checked the IV lines to see if they were blocked.  Then she  let out a curse word and said...he’s not getting any pain meds this is water.. Two people went running  out into the  hall while one clipped a short tube into one of my IV lines and  in a moment. One of the staff members came in  and held the  newly attached  tube and said “in a second you are going to feel a little warm sensation.  All I remember was thinking “what the hell difference would one more sensation make?”  A couple new people came  hustling in with ice packs and explained this would numb the pain for a couple minutes while the meds  took effect.  They loaded them  on my back gently.  Then  the other nurse who had dashed out. A couple minutes before came in with two IV bags and switched the saline water. Out for these bags and then she shot a load of drugs in each and  turned. On the flow.  

So apparently. I had lain there for some 90 minutes letting the  Annastehia  wear of with no pain meds post surgery whatsoever allowing me to wake up as if they had not  done anything for the pain which they had not.  
Well in about 20 minutes things were calming down inside my body considerably.  They had given me a little self  serve pain med button that I could use  about 20 minutes apart .  They started to position me until I “was comfortable (what the hell they define as comfortable wasn’t in the same  area code as where I would be for the rest fo the next couple days...but  let’s. Move forward.  At any rate I was settling in sort of when  most of the people were leaving. The room and then the second most  horrendous. Pain in my life. Decided to show up.  You see in the mass confusion someone had tucked. The catheter  tube and  bag down  on one side of the. Bed and it had  made it’s way to the floor.  Yes..Yes .. you guessed it one of the  most cheery and helpful. Nurses I was to have. During my. Visit turned to.skip merrily out of the room and inadvertently or more accurate bloody unfortunately caught the catheter  line ripping it  unceremoniously  nearly all the way out of a very “let’s say” sensitive  body part.  Well  I bit my tongue and I got another shot. Of some  pain meds for that .  
So I told you that. Whole story to tell you this... 
I woke up about 4 the next morning and felt fairly okay for someone who had been hit by a bus, but just a small shuttle bus you understand.  I was able to form some  thoughts about what had actually happened the day before and what would be happening over the next months.  I listened as a man down. The hall yelled out in pain and frustration because the nurse wouldn’t;t just stay  sitting in the room with him.  He was obviously not in so much physical pain as. He was  alone and afraid that his legs weren’t going to work as they had before.  He was throwing. His bed pan  around the. Room every few minutes and whatever else he could reach from his  bed.  In short, he could find no peace and he could not imagine any time when he would experience joy again.  

I suspect that’s the moment when I realized  that so many people in that hospital experienced physical pain, but  far more difficult for them was  the fact that hospitals did not specialize in helping  people seek peace or joy.  They knew how to fix body parts, but had. Very little  time or expertise in helping  people seek peace and joy.  
Now don’t get me wrong, I am not saying I’m an expert at it, but I recognize the need for it...I know we have to seek it and experience it when possible.  I know  that if people share peaceful, funny, serious, joyful, and genuine experiences they live  fuller lives for all the moments they are given.  I know it’s worth paying attention in order to grasp and create those moments and I know they are everywhere if you can be peaceful enough to let your heart and soul generate them out of the everyday world that floats in front of us in an unending stream... so that insight came about three years ago for me and I hope  this little post explains my obsession with peace and joy as opposed to success and happiness or achievement and status.  
After all when your catheter is being ripped from your groin I guarantee  you that status pour looking cool is pretty far from your mind...but my life would be a poorer thing for not having that experience.   Will I go. As far as saying thank you  to all medical people for  letting me have that experience?  Hell no...every lesson has it’s limits right?

More tomorrow ...Peace —out 

No comments:

Post a Comment