Monday, May 13, 2019

The gift and curse of being a writer and seeking peace and joy

Writing the Gift & the Curse

So I wake  up and once again my left sweat pants leg is up around my knee.  Easy fix?  Pull it back down around my ankle where it belongs.  Writer’s reaction— “why is this  leg of my sweats. Up by my knee again?”  You see this happens. A lot and I have no idea why and I now have to throw  it on my pile.  What pile?  The pile of observations that will eventually. Have to write out of my system.  So I roll the  sweats into position and walk into the kitchenn, grab the most convenient liquid  available (today it’s the water bottle in the fridge that incorporates a football theme (it was a gift and I like it, however drinking from a football doesn’t make sense).  Anyway I  take the bottle and a pill and get that job done.  Now I start thinking—cereal.  Now many of you know I have already written about. This, but  let’s go a little deeper because that’s what writers offer.  To eat cereal, I first look in the cupboard for one of my favorite bowls (what the hell a grown man shouldn’t have a favorite bowl—so I have three).  Now I find one and  go to the cereal  shelf in another cupboard.  I have a favorite cereal and it’s in the cupboard often enough, however do I reach for it?  No, that would be too simple.  I reach for the box  with the most  in it.  Why? Because of course I’m not the only one who should be eating. Breakfast  here and a box that is not too full means someone else is eating that and that is good so I leave that for them.  
Now sometimes I am not that  selfless and pour. A couple. Types of  cereal into the bowl.  

Anyway  I will talk a little more about cereal mascots in a future blog because I find them  fascinating.  But. Just for the  record I don’t  Believe anyone who says  Trix are just for kids and I’m not a silly rabbit (as if cereal is best sold by foiling the plots of rabbits).


So what does. This have to do with writing and peace and joy?  Well so far I have been awake for about ten minutes and  have you noticed  how much  meaning  my brain has  questioned or provided to things?  That’s a gift and a curse.  It’s a gift because. It means writers often walk through. The day seeking and finding meaning.  In almost anything.  There is little chance that  a writer is going. To wonder if. Any experience. At all. Has meaning....because. Everything has meaning.  The challenge of. The writer is not understanding that things have  meaning or even meanings in different contexts, the challenge  for the writer is finding the better ways to express those meanings through words.  If  for instance  something isn’t. Very large a writer  can say it’s smal, miniature,tiny, puny,petite, or microscopic.  That is just one adjective.  Yet 
Every single word is an instrument  for the writer  as conductor to include in the orchestra that will present the message the writer wants to use to express meaning of a though or an action.  For me it is a joy to have so many choices and it creates a sense of joy when all the words comic together to form  a page that creates  a concept or vision for the reader.  It’s different from telling someone  a story because. You are allowing the reader to connect with their inner4 conceptual universe guiding them to. Reach a shared  meaning or create. One far more powerful than what. You ever could  have imagined. 

So that is the gift of writing.  The joy in  putting words together that can help people gain understanding.  

So what  is the curse?  Well  like I said in the beginning, writers  often carry  around a pile of questions with them.  Why does this one leg  of my sweat pants move up ing the night?  Why does a  otherwise  adult person have a favorite cereal bowl?  How to cereal companies. Choose  these odd  representatives?

Oh yes and writers also. Wonder about. International relations, the economy, medicine, family relationships, and their general sanity for wondering  so much about  almost eferything and that’s efen before we start  pulling  words out our vocabulary  to assign  to the experience of exploring ythis endless array of questionas and topics.  

The curse iasn’t the  complexity and  the massiveness of the  spectrum of topics though.  The curse is that. We cannot avoid  writing about them.  It is our. Calling.  The confusion and complexity of the world is. Just a matter of fact.   It cannot stand in the way of our purpose which to  become a channel for the message of all these thoughts and objects.  

So... that’s about enough for one day of trying to express  why writers do this thing.  However, if you are a writer at heart, you must engage in this process or peace will never be yours.  


1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you are wrestling through the issues of being a writer so you can help guide the rest of us on the journey to peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete