Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Peace joy and other fish stories

FISHING FOR PEACE AND JOY 

The  Old Man  and the Sea and  “A River runs Through It are a couple of my favorite “fish stories””—well and of course there’s one  fish two fish red fish blue fish...

Anyway it’s hard not to notice all the fishy metaphors and sayings that  we use in our culture or that have been used in certain parts a of our culture anyway.  In a previous entry the concept of  being a big fish in a small fish in a big pond or a big  fish in a small pond was the topic.  while that whole notion promotes the idea of belonging it folds in a “comparison” frame of reference and to me that becomes problematic in seeking peace and joy.  
Yesterday afternoon I heard the phrase “you  can give a man a fish and he’ll eat for a day—but if you teach a man to fish he’ll eat for a lifetime.”  growing up Catholic I’ve eaten enough fish on Friday to last a lifetime already so I don’t necessarily  feel the need to  get out my pole and give a worm a bath.  However, my mind  sort of likes this phrase, except  what if  he doesn’t like fish?  How often  have you been encouraged or forced to learns something because someone else thought. It would be good for you?  How often. Do I  teach  (or try to) teach people things because I think it would be good for them?  Do I do this to ease their hunger or. Promote my choice in dinner menus?   I’m not trying to give fishing a bad name here because  fish have fed a lot of people and it is  reportedly a healthy food.  I do wonder if some of the greatest benefits of fishing have nothing. To do with the  catch.  Maybe sitting and watching a river or.  Lake and giving yourself the time to reflect or build the. Stuff of stories with. Your family and friends is really what fishing is all about.  In our culture it’s hard  for a male to say “I’m going to stare at the water and think about life for a bit and relax enough to be healthier tomorrow.”  I’m wondering if in seeking peace and  joy it is not absolutely necessary  to do a little fishing with or without a hook in the water?  Just  thinking?  

One more “fishing trip” tomorrow and then we’ll pull up anchor and move  on.


No comments:

Post a Comment