Wednesday, April 1, 2020

April fools day but don’t be a fool

We won’t Get Fooled Again?

So historians speculate (I see this phrase a lot and it doesn’t inspire me all that much) that April Fools’ Day originated in 1582  when Europe switched from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar and a good many people didn’t believe it was going to happen and the intervening days were quite  confusing...kind of like this pandemic  thing maybe hmmm?  Anyway  it din’t go full swing until the English in 1700 kicked off the day as a practical joke fest.  Not to be ouxtdone  by the Brits... the Scottish  folks turned it into a two day extravaganza.  
Well...in seeking peace and joy a sense of humor is important, however making someone look like a fool rarely leads down the path to helping. Someone feel more peaceful and joyful so I’m not a big fan.  

Okay this going to get preachy so you’ve been warned.  

April Fools day is a concerted effort to screw with your uncertainty.  The  problem is that life, including sources of information in recent years have taken on this role.with a vengeance and for some who ae strongly  influenced by external sources a little more  uncertainty  may not be so humorous just now.  

I know that some folks are very creative in their practical joke development and I hate to steal their joy with my position on this, however, the reaction to the joke may  not be what you’ve planned and then the joke is  on no one, but the memory will hang there for you and the ‘joke-eve” toprocess and linger on.  

How about. This year we look at the first of April much like in ancient times when  April marked the beginning of the year and make this a new beginning of reaching  out through the social distance, experimenting with new  communication styles, spending some alone time considering what you have learned in life and how  you will engage with the universe when this pandemic  plays itself out.   Maybe start a pandemic journal?

If I did did  that  and today was the first entry it would read something like this.

Day 1 PE (Pandemic Era)  
Hey where’s my bathroom?  (We just moved). Next—Will I find my knee brace today?   If not, how many times will I tell myself  that this doesn’t really hurt “that much”.  

Next thought  “why did someone put that basket  right on top of the freezer door  edge so that. It fell when  I went to get ice?  Was that a joke or  just an accident?

Finally so far...I’m going to. Help my mood by writing this post today and continuing on my “music trend”  tomorrow.     Oh and put together a podcast... 
Anyway since. We just moved and there are things inboxes where they aren’t expected... it’s like Christmas everyday for a while—opening a box and seeing what. Is there.  

Okay...take care  of each other and maybe. Today instead of a practical joke played on some one maybe you could  go with a joke  to tell someone....

For today I am stealing from the late Mitch Hedburg  (sp) who quipped.

“My friend said he has a picture of  me. When I was younger....I told him there weren’t any other kind...


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment