Friday, April 17, 2020

Social distancing simplified

A “THUMBNAIL GUIDE TO SOCIAL DISTANCING

Earlier in the the week a friend of mine  noted on his social media that  the COVID-19 suggested  “distancing distance of six feet  was approximately  1.8 meters.   He did this to assist those who use the metric system as a common form of measurement   Some local stores have  erected signs showing that six feet is  6 or 4 floor tiles apart.  I applaud these efforts, however, I don’t know how quick people are with their math and how intuitive counting tile or imagining. Meter sticks is, therefore. As a public. Service—and just because I think it’s fun, I  decided to provide some other units of measure that may  be more familiar to many readers during this social distancing  time.   


Let’s start with. Social distancing for chocolate.lovers.  M&Ms  is the most popular chocolate. Product sold in the u.S.  followed closely by the Hershe (sp) bar.  Now it would take about 9,400 M&Ms laid end to end to. Go the length of a football  field so  that means 6to keep. A safe social distance you should  keep people  188  or so m&ms  away.

Since we can’t go to the beauty. Shop or barber during this time our hai will be growing longer than usual.  Let’s hope we don’t. Start using hair as the measuring device though.  The average human hair only grows about 6 in. Per year.  It would take 12 years to  grow the  right length  and that’s assuming  you don’t have. Curly hair and that you  wouldn’t be pulling  out all your hair if. Social distancing. Went on that long.  

In Michigan we are. Not allowed to take. Cans back for recycling during the. Shelter in place order.  So we have plenty of  cans around right now.  The average 12 ounce. Beer can is 4.5 inches tall, therefore establishing social distancing  would require.16 cans laid out end to endIf you have not emptied  your own by now, I am certain you could reach out to. Friends and neighbors who would be glad to help as long as you had. Some delivered they would empty them and throw the empties. In your front yard for. No additional fee.   


Most people’s thumb is about  an inch wide so of course that means. It would take 72 thumbs to measure the six feet.,   If you find someone with 72 thumbs it’s time to stay plenty far away from them.   

Anyway...what does any of this have to do with peace and joy?   
For me, it has been interesting to think about. When, where, and  how I determine  to be close or farther away from people either physically. Or emotionally.  I have taken time to think about. My physical and emotional.”comfort  zone with a large number of  folks and why I erstablish and change. It over time.   I have come to the tenuous  conclusion  that I probably  need to  exercise. More empathy  when determining. The comfort zone that I think others might have and wonder if this. Social dsisatancing will change that for folks?   In any case, I think I will be more aware and more open with regard to expressing what makes me comfortable and what my social distance  needs are in the future.  I may need to experiment. Some  so I will  keep plenty of beer around in order to. Build an accurate data base.  

Seriously perhaps more peace and joy would be possible if we  become truly aware of our surroundings and the people in them.... Try to stay close enough to be conn3ected and provide enough room for  growth and change.  I have only emptied. 1.5. Cans today so I’d better get to work if I want to have  my measuring tools. In place by Monday.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment