Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Compared to what?

COMPARED TO WHAT?

Well… I’m taking some time  this week  to work on  this song.  Big shock right?  Well it is another  effort  that  is growing from the seeds of the lyrics  provided by my brother and it sort of is designed to bring back memories of a simpler time.  

I suppose there was a simpler time and I suppose there were some more complicated times than right now too.  For example, during some of the  great world epidemics those had to be pretty complicated times and pretty scary.  

Anyway thinking about the past and  the future I wandered down the path of wondering “have  i already  had the best day of my life?  Well hell I didn’t keep a chart.  Like I know  I remember some  good things that happened on certain days.   However,  what happened five Tuesdays ago compared to what might happen four  Saturdays from now?  Really?  Why did i ask myself that question about  my best days ever?  

What I think is we have a  need to sort things out and compare them  to each other.  Seth Godin or #sethgodin for those who want to get some good info quickly talks about this sorting process and so do many  social observers.  They seem to be  on target when they observe we as creatures display  an need to do this and yet it may  not be that useful.  

Now i took this sorting idea and this comparison idea  and started  rolling it around  in my head.  Some questions  emerged.

Like… When the Fifth Symphony  came out were there people in the street saying  “Oh you think that opera we saw last week was good?  You should hear  this new symphony…the fifth I think… so what  was wrong with the fourth?  And when  that symphony went to the top of the  charts—what was at number two?  Did the composer of that spend the rest of their  life wondering about their self worth because they never topped that one?  Or instead  did they say to themselves….”wow that’s the best thing I’ve ever done and I am glad so many  people enjoy it?  

I guess what I’m  getting at is how much time to we worry about becoming  the bestow better at something that we  might enjoy greatly, however,  because we  compare our  effort to someone else we kill all the peace of joy the heck out of that activity?  How many seeds  do we leave unplanted because we are afraid the trees they might  grow won’t be the tallest or provide the best fruit.  What if they weren’t supposed to be the trees that provided fruit but the trees that were easier for kids to climb and  they provided great shade  for  picnics… but we were thinking fruit so we didn’t plant the seed?  

In the end  I will make you all a deal.  If you  can believe that  what i’m doing is  to make myself  better…but no better  than you… I will do the same and thence might be able to help each other  find  peace and joy in  our own growth.  

Have I had the best day of my life?  Not yet…but I’m working on it LOL….
Be kind to yourselves, be critical of yourselves…tha’s your call but don’t  use me as a yard stick or thermometer.

and get out  there and plant  some seeds today!

No comments:

Post a Comment