Monday, February 18, 2019

The Sound of Silence

THE LOUD SILENCE

Most adults attend  a lot of meetings on a regular basis.  In nearly  all “repeating meetings there are a few folks  missing from time to time.  Whether  we think about it or not this creates a  shift  in the group dynamic and while some folks will say the same things  they have been saying for  years, some people  will grow silent because one  of their allies is missing.  

So, a couple of years ago I started to listen for the silence.  That is … what isn’t being said in meetings…what we are afraid to talk about and the level of anxiety  being  both avoided and enhanced by the silence.  

On a personal basis I try to ask myself “what would I say if I felt exactly the opposite of this on this topic?”   That’s how I sometimes find  a bridgett a reasonable conversation.  Sometimes I can’t bring myself to ask that… but I’m trying  harder to do so.  

It really seems that if we are to find peace and joy in the group setting, it might be time to  ask what is it I’m not hearing?  /who am I not hearing from, and most importantly  how loud is the silence whena decision  is made.  Joyful decisions are  often made with a lot of noise and peaceful decisions usually come over time.  

Are we listening for the  chimes of peace and joy

No comments:

Post a Comment